Thursday, January 28, 2021

 A few days ago I was discussing with Irene - my fellow student who I am writing my thesis with - about how powerful media is. We both agreed that media seems to focus too much on "extremes" when it comes to their reporting, so much that "normal" is highly underrepresented. 

When featuring - for example - articles about immigration, they usually just focus on criminality committed by immigrants. Occasionally they will write an article about this one immigrant that learnt a language in three months and did accomplish something exceptional. But newspapers are mostly focused on writing "clickbait" headlines to stir up the pot and generate public interest.
Yet the average immigrant rarely gets represented in the media. The immigrant that used a couple of years to learn the language, who goes to work in the morning and takes care of family in the evening, that goes to the cinema and lives a normal life never gets mentioned. Even though these are the majority. Because media fails to put things into perspective, the average person might have the wrong impression that anything that has to do with immigration is related to criminality, ergo all immigrants are criminals.

There are many other examples too. Articles featuring youth are usually: A) This young person got all A in high school, what an accomplishment! Or B) This other young person has a mental health issue that makes them not be able to get up from bed. 
Young people might be under the impression that you can either be Einstein or a loser. There is not middle ground. I'm sure you understand what I'm trying to say here.
Media looks for extremes to the point where the exceptions become "normal" and normal becomes the exception. They offer a distorted vision of the world, and affect the way in which the readers perceive reality. And they avoid all sorts of social responsibility for the way they portray "reality" - because news lack context.
I sure do hope I'm making any sort of sense :-) Anyway, it's something I've been thinking about lately. What confinement will do to one's brain!

Blog Archive

Search This Blog